The Washington Language Center is a Small, Veteran Owned Business (SVOB) that provides US Government, military, and multi-national corporations with high quality language and cultural training, testing, translation and interpreting services. WLC operates over 80 global and minority languages. WLC delivers tailored and cost-effective language training to client needs through agile practices. Training services are adaptable to one-on-one, small to large group learning, as well as virtual distance learning. WLC instructors and cultural presenters are native speakers who are highly trained in communicative teaching methods, multi-lingual, and multi-culturally competent. We match client training needs with our instructors’ expertise so that complex subject matter can be covered with confidence.
Job Summary: The Egyptian, Gulf, or Jerusalem Dialect Arabic Language & Culture Instructor II will work onsite at the School of Language Studies (SLS) at the US Department of State’s (DOS) Foreign Service Institute (FSI) in Arlington, VA. FSI provides foreign language training, testing and other language support services to DOS employees and other government agencies in over 70 foreign languages. Enrollments in the school surpass 2000 students annually including up to 1000 distance learning enrollments.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plan and/or conduct small and/or large group language classes using a wide variety of language teaching methodologies and techniques, stressing speaking, listening comprehension, and reading skills.
- Participate in non-classroom activities in the Washington area as well as language immersions.
- Collaborate with colleagues to participate in and support, on a part-time basis, the development of language training materials or SLS-relevant reference materials, including but not limited to text, audio, video, and technology-based media.
- As needed and on a part-time basis, assist with testing for language proficiency examinations, interacting with the examinee in the instructor's native language or language in which the instructor has near-native proficiency.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience teaching adult learners the foreign language they will be providing to FSI in a classroom setting (2 or more students).
- BA/BS, MA/MS, or Ph.D., or foreign equivalent degree(s) in any field.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience teaching foreign language with proficiency-based or task-based curricula.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience administering proficiency-based assessments (i.e., DLPT, ACTFL, OPI, etc.)
- A minimum English proficiency level of a 2:2 on the ILR proficiency scale.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- BS/BA or MS/MA or foreign equivalent degree in relevant language education field preferred.
- Experience developing foreign language instructional materials and/or curricula preferred.
- Experience teaching with the communicative approach preferred.
- Experience incorporating a variety of educational technology in teaching preferred.
- Experience teaching blending learning activities valued.
- Experience integrating social media applications for educational purposes valued.
- Experience administering proficiency-based assessments valued.
- Experience teaching with vocabulary-based language learning materials valued.
- Experience delivering training targeted to needs of diplomatic community valued.
- Possess independently-obtained work authorization with a minimum of one year remaining in US employment eligibility.
Clearance: National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI), background check
Location: The School of Language Studies (SLS) at the U.S. Department of State’s (DOS) Foreign Service Institute (FSI), Arlington, Virginia
Job Type: Full Time
Compensation: Salary is competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience, and includes benefits.
To apply: go to our careers website at https://washingtonlanguagecenterllc.catsone.com/careers/ or send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.