Assistant Professor of Arabic
University of Massachusetts Boston
The Department of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures (MLLC) invites applications for a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor in Arabic Language and Literatures or Cultural Studies, beginning September 1, 2020. Knowledge of the Eastern Mediterranean and modern Middle East from an interdisciplinary and/or comparative perspective strongly preferred. Must be able to supervise and teach in the Arabic language program, as well as develop and teach courses in English within a field of specialization that would enrich the MLLC department’s course offerings. Typical teaching load is two courses per semester.
- Native or Near-Native fluency in Standard Arabic and English.
- PhD in hand by appointment date.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in innovative undergraduate teaching.
- Interested applicants should submit application materials online. Please upload current curriculum vitae, a cover letter including a statement of research interests and teaching experience and contact information for three online reference letters.
- Applications will be accepted continuously until the position is filled, but the review of applications will begin on February 7, 2020.
- For information please contact the chair of the search committee Alex DesForges at Alex.Desforges@umb.edu.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.